Friday, March 25, 2005

The 8 Pond

Thurs., March 24, 2005

My wife had an encounter with God on a road not far from here. A spray painted 8 on the edge of the pavement adjacent to a dam containing a large pond was central to this experience. She had been praying by the side of this pond and when leaving, spied the 8 on the road. I won’t go into the significance of the symbol here. It is deep. Suffice to say, this was a touchstone for her and, indeed, for a few others close to her. Yesterday while she was at work, I found the 8 myself. Actually, I had taken her to this pond years ago. I had found it soon after we had moved into the area. We went there to sit together several times. That had not happened in years. But then the day before yesterday finally happened. And then yesterday. And the world is a different place.

We have to sell our house and move. The story is long, but suffice to say we must downsize. We have been looking for many counties around, trying to find a suitable spot to live. Nothing seems even close to being right. Recently, we have discovered that, because of my wife’s two part-time jobs, we really need to live close to the area where we already are. But the chances of finding something we can afford around here are slim. And it seems that every time one of us sees something that looks like it might work, the other has red flags about it for one reason or another. I have been asking God to point us to the right place. To make it clear where we are to be. Several times in the past I have been granted specific signs that verified a choice. I have been wanting one in this situation.

Yesterday, a crazy idea entered my mind. Maybe I could buy the pond for her. We need a new place to live. I’ve wanted to find some property where we could do exactly as we wanted. (Which would be a less-is-more proposition, but that's another story.) What more significant place could there possibly be around here? It would be amazing to live on this spot.

On my third visit to the 8 Pond in two days, I reconnoitered the western shore. I walked the western property line and on into the land behind. I checked out the high ground. Earlier in the day I had checked the county records online and saw the property boundaries, the assessed value, etc. The pond sits on the western third of a 25 acre plot. Mmmm. Maybe the owner would be interested in getting some cash in hand while still retaining most of the land. Perhaps a 5 acre triangle on the western shore of the pond could be our new home. It will take a miracle. One like the Doe River Gorge guys had bestowed on them when they bought a $4.5 million property for $400,000.00. Yes, 10 cents on the dollar I think we might be able to swing.

I had arrived about a half hour before the sun completely set. As darkness fell, I was tromping around on the the ideal spot to put a house. I asked, “Lord, could this be the place you have prepared for us? Could this very spot be the place for a home my wander-weary wife could truly call her own?” I dropped to my knees in the pine needles. “Lord, if this is what you have for us, I claim it. I don’t presume, I don’t even ask for it. But if you want this for us, I will take it from You.” I opened my eyes, looked up, and just above the top of the treeline over on the eastern shore of the pond, a full moon was rising. The brightest, fullest moon I have seen in years. The trees were illuminated and the light was all around me. I was startled. At this point in time, the moon is also dripping with symbolism in our lives. Could this be my answer already? I don’t know. But if a house stands on that spot sometime in the future, I will surely know then that I have seen God’s sign with my own eyes.

1 Comments:

Blogger wingman said...

It is now 22 months later. This SO did not happen.

Friday, February 02, 2007 1:41:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home