Thursday, February 01, 2007

Notes on Low Notes

I have been recording some new songs and I've been struggling getting the bass parts down like I want them using the bass simulator function in my recorder. I finally decided it would be a whole lot easier and more versatile to just play the parts on a real bass guitar. I had a wild hare idea. I had some overtime on a recent job so figured I could probably afford it. So I did a bunch of research and some shopping and I just returned home with an inexpensive used five string bass with active pickups! This particular brand and model seems to be fairly desirable among cheap basses. This particular bargain appeared to be on the market because of a small problem that needed repair which I was able to do with a dab of JB Weld, a drill, and a screwdriver. I think my guitar playing skills will transfer enough to be able to get what I want out of it for now. And who knows, maybe I'll turn into a real bass player. I'm told that if you play bass you'll always have a gig. Everybody wants to play guitar, but they are always desperate to find a bass player. I guess that's why the guitar player in the band is usually some young, good looking guy and the bass player is often some old fat dude. I'm also told that you just can't have too many guitars. I'm inclined to agree. It's such a pretty thing. I really have never had the least bit of interest in the bass but there are these bass sounds in my head I want in my recordings so now I'm all about making it happen. Ya just gotta have the want to.

2 Comments:

Blogger Patrick said...

Nice bass. It's always good to have an extra skill, although I doubt you will ever be that fat guy in the back, just doesn't fit your personality. And your wife won't allow it. :) just fyi I keep up quite a bit with your blog, nice to hear what's going on in your life. Tell your family I said hello.
http://drummerweed.blogspot.com

Friday, February 02, 2007 12:16:00 PM  
Blogger wingman said...

Hey, good to hear from you P!

Friday, February 02, 2007 4:46:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home