Monday, January 08, 2007

Old News

Being an old fart my head is so full of old stuff that it's often easy to completely miss new stuff. This definitely happens when it comes to music. My kids listen to all kinds of new stuff and my daughter in particular is quite eclectic, so when I'm around them I get introduced to new sounds. Some of it I'm not attracted to at all. Well, maybe a lot of it. But now and again I hear something that just grabs me. And so it was this Christmas break while hanging out with the college coed I used to swing around my neck and throw up in the air. She had her ever present music going and I got hooked by "All of You" from the 1999 Vertical Horizon CD "Everything You Want." Okay, so it's not so new stuff. Anyone under thirty is probably yawning. But it's new to me. It sucked me in and I'm liking it a lot. I do remember hearing a few of the hits on the radio. But much of it I hadn't heard before. One critic said of the band "They can't quite seem to decide if they want to rock out or cry." But I think that's a good thing. Another reviewer said "It's an album for more mellow rock, alternative fans, who love melody, soul, eccentric vocals, and lyrics that lean towards the melancholy hardships, and beautiful, insightful ideas of love and life." Yeah. I guess that's where my head is now. This is a great pop/rock album as far as I'm concerned. I'd like to play this kind of music. Wish I could write a song I would like as much as I like some of these.

On a completely unrelated note, but this happened to also be in one of the reviews quoted above: "You think the R.E.M. song, "Losing My Religion" is actually about religion? No, it's about losing one's temper." Yes, I see it now. Duh. And I'm glad about it. I always liked that song.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home