Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Wait of the World

A few weeks back I got paid the most money ever in my career for making only two shots. This week it has gone one notch further. I have a five day gig. Yesterday they used my camera for no more than 10 minutes. And I get my full day rate plus an hour and a half of overtime for that. And three great meals. Today I was on standby but the one time they were to use it they decided not to at the very last minute. I didn't make one shot. And I get another day and another hour and a half of overtime. It sounds great, but I think it's going to be a very long week. I got to thinking today about time slowing down when you have to wait for something. That you might be able to approach immortality that way, but have a life nobody would want to live. It's really better to be busy. At least moderately so. To occupy my mind this afternoon and try to maintain some kind of sanity I worked on writing a little piece. I want it to be a song but haven't come up with a tune yet.

Like the first December day
Christmas seems so far away
Mind goes numb and frayed nerves grate
while you hurry up and wait

For the world to go around
Ticking clock the only sound
Hang on as the minutes slow
Wait for what you do not know

Being busy makes time fly
Don't even feel the hours go by
Waiting makes the clock hands crawl
Do they even move at all?

Seems great to get paid to sit
But screaming boredom all day long
The hour hand won't budge a bit
On one such a job I wrote this song, waiting...

For the world to go around
Ticking clock the only sound
Hang on as the minutes slow
Wait for what you do not know

Waiting takes a heavy toll
Weight of the world upon the soul
Waiting for a better day
The sands of time to blow away

You'll be waiting
For the world to go around
Ticking clock the only sound
Hang on as the minutes slow
Wait for what you do not know

3 Comments:

Blogger Adam Erickson said...

Time slowing down but living the life that no one would desire, that sounds like an interesting film idea!

Glad to see your usage of the Varicam. I've always wanted to make use of one, they're beautiful. Also glad to see you're getting good work!

Thursday, November 16, 2006 3:15:00 PM  
Blogger wingman said...

I have indeed been busier than anyone could reasonably expect possible. and the timing has been amazing. I have had almost no schedule conflicts but today was number 13 of 17 in a row involving 8 different shoots! It's crazy! God has been opening doors for me.

Hey, if you like the slowing down time idea, write a script and go for it! I'm woking on a tune to my little poem. You could use it for the closing credits!

Thursday, November 16, 2006 7:14:00 PM  
Blogger wingman said...

I just thought of my favorite old Twilight Zone episode with Burgess Merideth, "Plenty of Time Now." It is about this harried bank teller, a hen pecked book worm who never has enough time to read. He ends up hiding in the vault of the bank during his lunch hour to get some quite time with his book and inadvertantly is spared when the rest of humanity is destroyed by atomic cataclysm. (The story was aparently written before the effects of radio active fallout were well understood.) He finds the grocery has plenty of food and the library is full of books still intact and is delighted by his good fortune, stacking up piles of books for each month of reading far into the future. Until he drops his thick glasses and breaks them rendering him virtually blind. I remember how much that ending got to me when I was a kid.

Monday, November 20, 2006 9:42:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home