Thursday, April 07, 2005

Close Call

My two unidentified friends earned their keep this morning. Malfunction Junction almost claimed me. I got surprised in the rain on the way to work by some clogged traffic and the weak brakes in the 25 year old car I was driving came up short. I narrowly got around the vehicle immediately in front and headed into the grass next to the interchange. Sliding completely sideways, my go-cart inspired, Chicago snow honed instincts had me skidding and counter skidding through five or six radical oscillations while somehow I was guided between sign posts, guard rails, cars and an entrance ramp to stay in open flat grass until the energy was dissipated. Glad I had one friend for each side of the car. The 18-wheeler behind me slowed and watched this go down right in front of him. He got quite a show. I’m sure he couldn’t believe it when I drove away in one piece.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home