Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Rainbows

Traveling to the city of my heartbreak
I weep again
My body keeps driving
but my heart is laid out on the ground
My prayers spill out until there is nothing left
Empty, quiet, still
Nothing
The route makes a turn
I don't notice that the rain has stopped
Over my shoulder I catch a glimpse
I turn and yes, it is a rainbow
Just a part of one and a bit faint, but it's there
chasing along behind
Is that for me? I hope so
I ask for guidance as the city lay ahead
It turns out not as I expect
Except that I have learned to expect
that nothing will be as expected
Guidance for now is certain
The direction of the future?
Maybe

Weeks later, I leave the city of my heartbreak
perhaps for the last time
I stop to check the load
It starts to rain as I pull onto the interstate
I push a button and randomly Libera fills my ears
with the Song of Enchantment
Out my side window
through drops that run down the glass like tears
a brilliant rainbow!
It shines and shines
and moves out in front of my car
leading me on for miles and miles
The wind blows the tears from my windows
Another squall, then the bow becomes complete
filling the sky
I'm still under a dark ceiling of black
But up ahead, blue sky and fluffy white clouds
The kind that make me want to soar up to them
Is the promise for me?
Never again such destruction?
I can only hope


I am reminded of something Winston Churchill said following the victory at El Alameinin North Africa, London, 10 November 1942:
"Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end.
But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning."

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I cannot say what I feel, but I feel it, yes I feel it clearly in my heart, my story. We are men who have shared this road.

Saturday, July 21, 2007 10:17:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home