Sunday, May 06, 2007

Gig 1

Well, I finally did it. I played a gig by myself doing folk music and other throwbacks from the 70's. And I'm mostly feeling good about the way it went. I prepared a set list but ended up mixing it up a good bit depending on what was going on and how many folks were around at the moment. Also, I thought the coffee shop was open until 11:00 but in fact it closed at 10:00, so some songs I was saving for the end never happened. My friend Kirk who told me about the place stopped in for a while after his evening responsibilities. Another friend, Mike, came too. I was really appreciative of the support from those guys. When nobody was left except Mike and while Jake and Sam were cleaning up, I cranked the amp way up and for a big finish did Bread's "Guitar Man" complete with close to note-for-note solos over top of the Jam Man looping away. It was a good thing to end on, though not quite what I had planned.

I got some good feedback from the guys there about what they thought worked well for their context and what didn't. And I got $7 in my tip jar! The first money I've ever earned in my life playing guitar! Almost enough to pay for 1/2 a set of strings! Looks like its going to take a lot of gigs to break even on my gear. Good thing I'm not in it for the money.

So here's the set list as best as I remember. I know the order isn't quite accurate, but pretty close:

5/5/07 House Blend Cafe, Ocoee, Florida

LONGING (instrumental with looper)
DELAYED REACTION (instrumental with looper)
YOUR EYES (w/tracks)
TIME OF YOUR LIFE (w/tracks)
JUST YOU AND ME (w/tracks)
BORDERLINE (w/tracks)
WAIT OF THE WORLD (w/tracks)
HEART OF GOLD (with harmonica)
TAKES A LITTLE TIME (with harmonica)
YOU'VE GOT A FRIEND
MEMORIES (w/tracks)
BROKEN FEATHERS
DAYLIGHT AGAIN
SPOON RIVER
STILL CAN'T SAY GOODBYE
GLIMMER
LULABY
MAKE LOVE STAY
CAT'S IN THE CRADLE
EVERYTHING I OWN
AUBRY
FIELDS OF GOLD
CRY A RIVER
TO AUTUMN
MISSING YOU
GUITAR MAN

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

All right Dan! Some David Gates tunes! And hey...isn't that a Shackley tune in there? That's where the tips came from.

Sunday, May 06, 2007 9:46:00 PM  
Blogger wingman said...

Yep, I'm quite certain those Shackley tunes were the most appreciated! No kidding!

Monday, May 07, 2007 12:24:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home