Sunday, September 10, 2006

Garage Band

I'm not much of a schmoozer, but an opportunity came my way today. I got another call from Doug this afternoon. I had been working on the sailboat most of the day and was getting a bit tired of it. He said he'd been inivited to a block party by a friend of his who I had spent an evening with one time a year or two ago at the condo. That night we had a couple of guitars handy and we had played a bunch of music on the porch. For tonight they were putting together a little band to play for the neighborhood and Doug got me invited to join them. Well, it had escaped me the first time I had met this guy that he worked for a company that could give me some convention camera work. In fact, all the guys in the band work in the AV business. The bass player might get me some work at the big hotel where he is the AV honcho. I have already done several shows in the ballroom of that hotel. Anyway, we were all crammed into a garage and had a grand time playing all kinds of mostly old music for a driveway and front yard full of folks sitting on lawn chairs eating bar-b-q. One of the guys brought a nice sound system borrowed from his employer. I did "Heart of Gold" with the harmonica hanging around my neck and everybody liked that. One of the guys had a nice American built Strat that I ended playing about half the time and that was cool. We were all of similar ability and it was just a bunch of fun. I'm not much of a lead player but I've been working on it quite a bit and none of the other guys played lead at all so I got all the solos. My two scales stood me in good stead and they went pretty well. And I got free food. And since I was making business contacts, and possibly quite valuable ones at that, I put the mileage there and back in the logbook for the deduction. Oh, and I now have one fan in Orlando. Some lady gushed over my playing. But then, I think she'd had quite a bit of beer by then. So all in all that was an unexpected evening of fun. The most I've had in a good while.

2 Comments:

Blogger rod said...

free food, networking and gushing women. that's why I play guitar too.
:-)

Sunday, September 10, 2006 3:24:00 AM  
Blogger wingman said...

You're staying up too late again. If only you could sleep 'til noon like a lot of musicians.

Sunday, September 10, 2006 5:25:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home